This online course has been designed to provide learners with a thorough introduction to the roles and responsibilities of a successful Facilities Manager.
Facilities Management covers a wide range of topics – from ensuring health and safety compliance though to improving sustainability and managing space efficiency – and it’s important that you have an understanding of each. This course outlines the main responsibilities of a Facilities Manager and provides learners with the information, tips and tricks required to carry out the role effectively.
- Developed by Chartered Facility Management Professionals/Experts
- Accredited by Chartered Institute of Contract, Project and Facility Management
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Minimum of 4 Hours Study/ Reading Per Day
- Minimum Duration: 10 Weeks
- Course Fee: $250 USD
Who Should Take This Online Course?
This course is best suited for managers and supervisors who are new to the role of Facilities Manager or who have little technical background. The course is also ideal for learners who wish to gain a better understanding of what facilities management involves, for those who wish to re-enforce their existing knowledge and for people who simply want to explore what’s required by the role.
The course is written at an introductory level and so no pre-requisite knowledge or training is required.
Certification and Accreditation
All of our courses are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Contract, Project and Facility Management Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines. The courses offered by the College are unique as they take a very “hands on” approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the “theory” behind the industry – they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Sample Certificate (click to view)
How Does This Online Training Work?
Once you register for your course of study, you’ll receive a log-in and password for the online page. When you log-in, you’ll have access to the practice examination, study pack or pdf materials and other resources.
After you’ve gone through these materials and feel ready to take the examination, you can schedule yourself for the online examination.
The course is divided into seven accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end.
- Introduction to Facilities Management – what is facilities management? Locations that require a facilities manager, consequences of poor management, person specification and main responsibilities.
- Services Management – legal responsibilities, facilities needs assessments, hard and soft services, schedules, heating and lighting, water and toilet facilities, air conditioning and ventilation, accessibility, waste disposal and cleaning, rest facilities and catering, workplace furniture, IT systems, general repairs and maintenance, site security and parking.
- Space Management – premises management, workplace layout, space efficiency, health and safety compliance, welfare facilities, building leases, sourcing new premises and managing moves.
- Health and Safety – why compliance is important, relevant laws, risk assessment, fire safety, staff safety, security and loss prevention, first aid facilities and ergonomics.
- Environmental Responsibilities – workplace responsibilities, sustainability, social responsibility, environmental management, going green, recycling, energy efficiency and educating workers.
- People Management – managing staff, day-to-day problems, managing your employer, managing contractors, negotiation skills and key contacts.
- Cost Management – reducing costs, reviewing costs, bookkeeping, budgeting, contingency planning and asset registers.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Understand the responsibilities and duties of an effective Facilities Manager.
- Know what needs to be considered when managing the day-to-day services used by a business.
- Understand what is meant by space management and know how to ensure that the workplace is being used efficiently and safely.
- Know what should be considered in order for the workplace to comply with health and safety legislation.
- Understand the significance of environmental responsibility and sustainability and how these can be applied to the business.
- Understand how to manage and control people, including staff and contractors.
- Understand the importance of cost management, including budgeting, reducing costs and negotiating expenditure.
Assessment /Online Examinations
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 50 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 60%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don’t pass don’t worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Whether you are a student on our platform or not we encourage you to email your enquires to our friendly team if you need help with anything at firstname.lastname@example.org